I'm an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at San Jose State University. For AY 2015-16 I'm on research leave at New York University, where I'm a Research Fellow at the Information Law Institute, a member of the Institute's Privacy Research Group, and a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication.
I work in philosophy of technology, with a focus on its social, political, and ethical dimensions. Right now that means I'm spending a lot of time thinking about privacy, big data, and online identity.
- In May Kiel Brennan-Marquez and I are presenting our paper "Obstacles to Transparency in Privacy Engineering" at the 2016 International Workshop on Privacy Engineering, part of the 37th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- In June I'm workshopping a paper on notice and consent at the 9th Annual Privacy Law Scholars Conference at The George Washington University Law School.
- In August I start teaching at San Jose State!!
- In September I'm giving a lecture (provisionally titled "Privacy, Identity, and Online Literacy: A Three-Pronged Approach") at Goethe University's Privacy and Democracy conference.
- In November I'm visiting Penn State to give talks at the Rock Ethics Institute.
- Kiel Brennan-Marquez and I presented our paper on chilling effects arguments at the Freedom of Expression Scholar's Conference at Yale Law School. [4/30/16]
- I presented a paper titled "Notice After Notice-and-Consent" at the Internet Law Works-in-Progress conference at New York Law School. [3/5/16]
- I presented work-in-progress titled "Against the Collection/Use Distinction" to the Privacy Research Group at NYU's School of Law. [2/24/16]
- My paper "Information Privacy and Social Self-Authorship" was accepted at Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology. The final version will be published some time in 2016; until then you can read the pre-publication draft at SSRN. [12/15/15]
- I moderated a panel on "Facilitating Connections" at the Responsible Use of Open Data: Government and the Private Sector conference, sponsored by NYU's Information Law Institute and UC Berkeley's Center for Law and Technology. [11/20/15]
- I presented work-in-progress titled "What's the Point of Notice?" to the Privacy Research Group at NYU's School of Law. [10/7/15]
- I began my postdoctoral research fellowship at NYU's Information Law Institute. [9/1/15]
- In August I was officially appointed to the philosophy department at San Jose State University. I'll be on research leave for AY 2015-16 to do a postdoc at NYU. I arrive at SJSU Fall 2016! [8/18/15]
- Defended my dissertation!! L8r grad school. [5/18/15]