I'm an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at San Jose State University. For AY 2015-16 I'm on research leave at New York University, where I'm a Research Fellow at the Information Law Institute, a member of the Institute's Privacy Research Group, and a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication.
I work in philosophy of technology, with a focus on its social, political, and ethical dimensions. Right now that means I'm spending a lot of time thinking about privacy, big data, and online identity.
- On February 24th I'll present work-in-progress titled "Against the Collection/Use Distinction" to the Privacy Research Group at NYU's School of Law.
- In March I'll be presenting at the Internet Law Works-in-Progress conference, sponsored by New York Law School's Innovation Center for Law and Technology and the High Tech Law Institute at Santa Clara University School of Law.
- In June I'm workshopping a paper at the 9th Annual Privacy Law Scholars Conference, co-sponsored by UC Berkeley's Center for Law and Technology and The George Washington University Law School.
- My paper "Information Privacy and Social Self-Authorship" was accepted at Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology. The final version will be published some time in 2016; until then you can read the pre-publication draft at SSRN. [12/15/15]
- I moderated a panel on "Facilitating Connections" at the Responsible Use of Open Data: Government and the Private Sector conference, sponsored by NYU's Information Law Institute and UC Berkeley's Center for Law and Technology. [11/20/15]
- I presented work-in-progress titled "What's the Point of Notice?" to the Privacy Research Group at NYU's School of Law. [10/7/15]
- I began my postdoctoral research fellowship at NYU's Information Law Institute. [9/1/15]
- In August I was officially appointed to the philosophy department at San Jose State University. I'll be on research leave for AY 2015-16 to do a postdoc at NYU. I arrive at SJSU Fall 2016! [8/18/15]
- Defended my dissertation!! L8r grad school. [5/18/15]